Football News

Man Utd “planning” €114 million summer investment, Barcelona midfielder on list

According to a report by Jacque Talbot, Manchester United are planning to invest €114 million (£100 million) on a ‘world class’ midfielder in the summer, and have a fair few names on their list.

One of them is Barcelona’s Frenkie de Jong. The midfielder was Barcelona’s first-choice CM alongside Pedri last season, but lost his place to Gavi ahead of the 2022/23 season.

While many expected it was because the club wanted to offload him in the summer, de Jong’s performances were not particularly helping him either. One of the clubs interested in him, as it so happens, was Manchester United.

The Red Devils had even found an agreement with Barcelona on an €85 million deal, including add-ons. The player, though, refused to succumb under the pressure of the administration.

However, as the season has progressed, de Jong has found a more prominent role under Xavi.

Not only has he done well in his natural position as a number 8, but has also covered rather impressively for Sergio Busquets in a role many thought would be unfamiliar to him.

 

In recent games, FdJ scored the second against Almeria and then assisted Raphinha’s winner against Osasuna three days later.

And while Erik Ten Hag is understandably fond of the player, he is not the only one on United’s radar. The Manchester outfit are also looking at Borussia Dortmund’s Jude Bellingham, Newcastle United’s Bruno Guimaraes, and West Ham’s Declan Rice.

Barcelona demanded €85 million from United for FdJ last summer, but his performances this season, and the World Cup could play a huge role in his estimated market value.

That said, it will not be surprising if Barcelona choose to retain the 25-year-old, especially since Busquets is expected to leave the club.

Man Utd transfer target drops big hint on potential move as rivals ‘eye’ defender move

Latest Manchester United news and rumours following their Carabao Cup win over Aston Villa

Manchester United are back in action this weekend with an away trip to Fulham. The Red Devils go into that game on the back of their 4-2 win over Aston Villa on Thursday evening.

 

Erik ten Hag’s side are currently sat in 5th place in the Premier League table. Here is a look at some of the latest news coming out of the club…

United-linked Benjamin Pavard has hint to L’Equipe that he could leave Bayern Munich sooner rather than later. The France international has been playing in the Bundesliga since 2019. He is open to a new challenge after the World Cup and has said: “I have won everything with the club. I’m not against discovering a new project. Maybe now is the time. Why not discover a new country, a new culture? But the sports project must be interesting.”

 

Competiton for target
Tottenham Hotspur are reportedly keen on Norwich City defender Max Aarons and have ‘monitored’ his progress in the Championship, as per 90min. Football Insider claimed earlier this month that the Red Devils were interested so they may now face competition for his signature. The 22-year-old is currently looking to help the Canaries gain an immediate promotion back to the top flight.

Ex-coach latest
Former United coach Warren Joyce, who currently works at Nottingham Forest, will not be returning to Hull City. The Tigers’ new boss Liam Rosenior has ruled out the 57-year-old going back to East Yorkshire to join his backroom staff on BBC Radio Humberside.

Source: barcauniversal.com; www.manchesterworld.uk

About the author

SportsFetch

Leave a Comment