Football News

Pep Guardiola confirms Man City January transfer plans and reacts to record financial results

Pep Guardiola spoke about Manchester City’s financial results and gave a blunt answer regarding the club’s transfer plans in January.

Manchester City won’t be entering the January transfer window for new players, Pep Guardiola has confirmed.

City this week published their annual financial reports, recording a record profit and declaring an ambition to push on and continue their successes on and off the pitch. With two fixtures remaining before the World Cup break, attention will turn to the post-tournament landscape, with the January transfer window suddenly on the horizon.

 

However, despite City’s profits and an uncertain new year given the World Cup, Guardiola says there are no plans to add to the squad in January.

Asked about City’s financial results, Guardiola declined to comment, saying: “I’m not involved in that, Ferran Soriano is the boss of that.”

And when asked if the results open up the chance to sign anyone in January, Guardiola replied: “We are not going to sign anyone in January. We are not going to sign [anyone] in January. The squad we have we are pleased [with], the squad will stay the same.”

 

Guardiola was also asked about the news this week that Liverpool’s owners are open to selling the club, but he was keen not to be drawn into commenting on a rival club.

“I’m not the right person to ask this question. Not the right one to answer,” he said. “I’m not involved, I’m not a CEO, I try to be a good manager. That’s all. Of course, I’m not going to talk about other clubs.”

The bizarre Premier League rule that benefits Man City as Arsenal face Saliba and Jesus worry

Manchester City are set to benefit from a seemingly bizarre Premier League rule amid their race against Arsenal to finish top of the table

William Saliba goes to celebrate with Gabriel Jesus after scoring for Arsenal vs Leicester

Arsenal could eventually suffer as a result of a bizarre Premier League rule that will allow Manchester City’s Joao Cancelo to face Brentford this weekend despite being sent off against Fulham on Saturday.

According to Premier League rules, any player earning five bookings from their side’s first 19 Premier League matches will serve a one-match ban in the same competition. Therefore, yellow cards are not carried over to the Carabao Cup or FA Cup. However, red cards do carry over.

 

That means Joao Cancelo – who was sent off for an offence that led to a penalty for Fulham in Manchester City’s 2-1 win at the Etihad Stadium on Saturday – can’t play against Chelsea in the Carabao Cup this week, but will be eligible to play in the Premier League in gameweek 16 of the competition.

The Portuguese international is an integral part of Pep Guardiola’s setup and although they don’t have many weaknesses, City are a little more exposed – especially in an attacking sense – when he doesn’t play.

Meanwhile, if William Saliba and Gabriel Jesus receive a booking against Wolves, they will be suspended for when Arsenal return to Premier League action on Boxing Day.

The Gunners’ performance so far this season has shown that they’re probably City’s biggest contenders for the title, though Mikel Arteta isn’t expected to deliver a championship just yet. Fine margins often help win titles and Cancelo essentially getting away with it in the league – for want of a better phrase – is only going to help Guardiola’s side in the long run.

Source: www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk; /www.football.london

About the author

SportsFetch

Leave a Comment